Now is the time for us to take action. We need to remember that WE are the movement. We can't wait for others to fight for our equality. We must all take responsibility and act everyday to fight for our rights. The time is now.
The following is taken from the website of Join the Impact which is the group organizing the Nationwide Protest against the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA).
On Saturday January 10th, 2009
We ask you to join us in making the LARGEST IMPACT YET!
Let's take our message all the way up the ladder to President Elect Barack Obama himself!
On January 10th, we will come together as one UNITED FRONT asking the LGBTQ community to join us in signing an Open Letter to President Barack Obama, during a NATIONAL DOMA PROTEST.
This letter will remind President Elect Barack Obama of the promises he made to us.
It will also serve as a pledge from our community that we will hold him to his promises and help him achieve them.
We can’t just put a letter online and ask that people sign it.
We need to take to the streets. As we all know…
VISIBILITY IS THE KEY TO EQUALITY!
Outreach & Education Will End Discrimination.
We MUST Infiltrate, to Educate, and Stop Hate!
HERE’S WHAT YOU CAN DO:
- Find out who is organizing a DOMA Protest in your area. (Quick Link to State Page) If there isn't one, then volunteer to organize an event, or organize to collect signatures!
- Download the Open Letter and take to the streets to gain signatures.
- Get one million signatures (in total across the nation) by the end of the day on January 10th.
- Mail the collected signatures to the JTI clearinghouse address BY DEADLINE: Join The Impact, PO Box 141491, Columbus, OH 43214
If you can't organize a protest or one is not organized in your city (understandable with the holidays and all), then don't worry, you can still participate:
The Point of this event...
- Sign up to organize a carpool in your area that gets everyone to the closest protest
- Get a group of friends together to canvas your neighborhood to get signatures for the open letter.
... to gather at least one million signatures on an Open Letter to President Barack ObamaThe event itself will vary by location depending on organizers availability and local sense of how to best do it. Please make posts below to discuss ideas...
to be delivered to him on his first day in office.
Join Us on January 10th for 1 Million Signatures to Repeal DOMA!